Skip to main content


HSCSN and the District government have ways that you can complain about the care you get or the services HSCSN provides to you. You may choose how you would like to complain as described below.

What is a Grievance?

If you are unhappy with something that happened to you, you can file a Grievance. Examples of why you might file a Grievance include:

  • You feel you were not treated with respect.
  • You are not satisfied with the health care you got.
  • It took too long to get an appointment.

How to file a Grievance?

To file a Grievance, you should call the Grievance and Appeal Hotline at (202) 495-7582 or send your letter to:

Health Services for Children with Special Needs, Inc.
ATTN: Risk Management 1101 Vermont Avenue NW Suite 1200
Washington, D.C. 20005

Who can file a Grievance?

  • You may file a Grievance orally or in writing at any time. HSCSN has 90 calendar days to provide a grievance resolution (response to your grievance).
  • Your doctor or authorized representative can also file a Grievance for you with you or your caregiver’s written permission.
  • If the enrollee is a minor child, a parent or guardian, or authorized representative (an authorized representative may include an attorney, or non-legal advocate).
  • With written permission of the enrollee affected by the adverse decision, an agency, program, or provider that referred you for the item or service at issue.